Venice Photo Walk: FAQ
Few things to keep in mind before your scheduled tour:
- Tours do not start and end in the same location.
- Be aware is a photography tour, The morning walk starts in Summer (May to September) at the very latest at 7am, better 6 or 6:30 and5pm the afternoon walk. April and October ask if you would like to start after 8am. Ask me details for Sunrise and Blue Hours.
- Price it is irrespective of the fact that there is one person with camera and other xx just tagging along! On the contrary my tour is mainly for a couple of people or for a family where there is mainly one shooter. Three hour fly and we will cover quite a bit of ground,
- I may be able to pick you up at your hotel or apartment, if you are staying in the City Center (Centro Storico) I tend to base my decision on the flow of our walk.
- Tours run rain or shine (you can get some great photos in the rain!) but it is possible to cancel for weather conditions and get a full refund
- Guests may work with aDSLR camera, Mirrorless, or high-end point and shoot camera. Lens ideal a 17-35mm or 24-70mm zoom, or 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, or 50mm prime lens.
- We reserve the right to cancel at any time. If we need to cancel, we will notify you as soon as possible, and you will be refunded your payment. We are not responsible or liable for any damages you may suffer because of cancellation, and your sole recourse is refund of your payment.
- We assume no liability for traffic conditions, street closures, lost property or injuries and cannot be responsible for the acts of people on the street. We reserve the right to change the tour reroute or to cancel and accepts no liability for doing so, other then return the fee in full.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Below are some of our most frequently asked questions:
- »Do I have to purchase pay in advance?
- Yes, you can book in advance with a deposit that is fully refundable as long as cancellation arrives 2 days before the photo walk is due to take place. In case of rain or bad weather you can cancel on the same day. This is the only way to secure your booking. Full payment is due before the tour takes place. You can pay by Paypal using a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. We will issue a Paypal Invoice the day before the Tour. You can pay by cash on the day but only and exclusively in Euro €. I am not a tour guide etc so it makes life easier for me and my accountancy. Another issue that I have been faced is that sometime a limit on the cash that can be taken by day/week by ATM machine is rolled over and it is very embarrassing for the client and for me when the withdrawal is refused. I have to issue an invoice, chase the payment (sometime) all things I do not like to do.
- »Why do I have to pay a deposit ?
- I do not like it either but this is the situation: my main work is being an Editorial and News Photographer, when I take a Photo Walk Booking (My agencies are informed) and I take a day off. I can accommodate only 10% of the Photo Walk requests I get. It has happened before (without a deposit) that the people that booked me changed idea/plans without telling me. So I disappointed someone else turning down his/her request, and I end up having taken a day off and having nothing to do. On few occasions I have waited for an hour or more and then nobody turned up. I do not mind cancellation up to 2 days before and the deposit will be fully refunded.
- »Can I pay after the tour by Credit Card, Cash, Cheque, Paypal…etc etc etc ?
- I apologize but it is far too complicated for me. I am a full time photographer not a tour operator and I do not have a back end admin set up to follow up on payments.
- »Why has my Tour been cancelled?
- If we do not hold a Paypal refundable deposit AND we do not hear from you 48h before the tours begin we automatically cancel the tour on the assumption you have changed your mind. Please be aware that we will try to remind you the Paypal Deposit but it is your duty to make sure we receive it and the booking formally in place!
- »Do I get a refund if I cancel my tour?
- If on the day of the tour the weather is very much against the tour rain, snow, wind, heat etc you can cancel even 1h before the tour is due to start and get a full refund. You can also cancel by email, sms or phone, for any personal reasons 24h before the tour is due to take place and get a full refund. I operate a strict 24 hour cancellation policy. For cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice or if you do not turn up for your photo walk, you will be charged the full photo walk or workshop.
- »What about taking children on the tour?
- The tour is best suited for children ages 10 and above. But I had some great time with young kids! Keep in mind they can get tired after an hour or so of walking, especially if jet lagged! It would probably be better the 2h Photo Walk.
- »How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3 or 6 hours long and covers an area of a 2 or 3 miles. Venice is 1/4 of Manhattan or can fit in Hyde Park. The tour is leisurely paced but we will be on our feet for most of the tour and there are many bridges and steps in Venice. There are benches at a couple of the locations that we visit if you wish to rest a bit.
- »What is the best group size?
- My Tours are one-to-one and only your guests will take part. I suggest you keep the number to a max of four.
- »Can I start my Tour at 10am…in Summer!
- No I am sorry. I do understand it is your holiday but mine is a Photographic tour and light is very important, I will be happy to recommend a standard tour company, just ask.
- »What happens if it rains or snows?
- I do go out in all types of weather and in fact you can get some great photos in inclement weather. In the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions, the tour will be canceled for safety reasons and you will be allowed to reschedule to another day and time or receive full refund.
- »What will be the photographic subjects?
- Camera and Exposure: Camera Settings, Automatic, Semi Auto and Manual Mode, Speed and Aperture Priority, Light Metering
Composition: Cropping, Perspectives, Rules of Thirds, Lens Choice, Depth of Field (DoF),
Creativity: Editorial or Fine Art? Choice of Subjects, Point of Views, Street Photography, Improve your Creativity
Light Situations: Available Light, Photography at Sunrise/Sunset and Golden Hours (If you need a Tripod just ask me)
- »Do I have to have a camera to join the tour?
- No. In addition to the historic and curiosity commentary, there is ample time to explore the areas of interest on your own and see things in greater detail and many people enjoy doing so without a camera.
- »Is the price still the same if I don’t have a camera?
- Yes, You could use a disposable camera or a cell phone camera as both of these will still allow you to expand your creative vision.
- »What should I bring with me on the tour?
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and clothes that allow you to move freely. If it is hot you may want to consider bringing a hat and water. If it is raining please bring a rain jacket and umbrella and perhaps a plastic bag to protect your camera. If it is cold you may want to bring very thin gloves – thin are best for manipulating your camera. You may also want to bring spare batteries or an extra memory card.
- »Do I need to bring a tripod?
- You may wish to bring a tripod if you are interested in doing some shots involving motion blur or if you particularly like shooting with a tripod; however, the vast majority of participants do not bring a tripod.
- »What if I have little experience with photography and/or my camera?
- The tours are designed for participants of all skill levels. The tours provide an opportunity for both experienced and novice photographers alike to expand their creative vision. If you wish to learn more about your particular camera, there will be plenty of time for you to ask questions along the way. If you are not very familiar with your camera’s functions, it is often helpful if you bring along the manual but not necessary.
- »Are there restrooms along the tour route?
- There are no official restroom stops on the tour. Please make sure to use the restroom before the tour begins. Of course in the event of an emergency, we will do our best to try to accommodate you.
- »Can I stop to buy food or beverages along the way?
- There are a few shops and stores along the way that you may purchase food or beverages at if you wish.
- »Do I need to have a Travel Card or Waterbus ticket?
- No it is not necessary, my tours (except Burano) can be completed by walking, but if you have one let me know we may be able to explore different areas.